View my previous blog here: http://bazzablog-uk.blogspot.com

I reply to all comments except spam, no matter how old!

Please ignore any email address displayed here! My email is shamp123 AT sky.com


Saturday 30 November 2013

Sweet Thing

Another re-post from exactly three years ago. The years have not dimmed my love of this music......

Van Morrison: Sweet Thing

http://www.last.fm/
Sweet Thing
(Click on the above to listen. Open another window if you want to listen and follow the lyrics!))
And I will stroll the merry way
And jump the hedges first
And I will drink the clear
Clean water for to quench my thirst
And I shall watch the ferry-boats
And they'll get high
On a bluer ocean
Against tomorrow's sky
And I will never grow so old again
And I will walk and talk
In gardens all wet with rain 
Oh sweet thing, sweet thing
My, my, my, my, my sweet thing

And I shall drive my chariot
Down your streets and cry
'Hey, it's me, I'm dynamite
And I don't know why'
And you shall take me strongly
In your arms again
And I will not remember
That I ever felt the pain.
We shall walk and talk
In gardens all misty and wet with rain
And I will never, never, never
Grow so old again. 
Oh sweet thing, sweet thing
My, my, my, my, my sweet thing

And I will raise my hand up
Into the night time sky
And count the stars
That's shining in your eye
Just to dig it all an' not to wonder
That's just fine
And I'll be satisfied
Not to read in between the lines
And we will walk and talk
In gardens all wet with rain
And I will never, ever, ever, ever
Grow so old again.
Oh sweet thing, sweet thing
Sugar-baby with your champagne eyes
And your saint-like smile....

Lyrics like poetry.......
"And you shall take me strongly
In your arms again
And I will not remember
That I ever felt the pain"


Van Morrison has a reputation as a grumpy old curmudgeon but with a body of work like he has nobody could seriously doubt his commitment to his art. Ever the contrary one, he say's 'it's just a job'! If you still doubt my word listen to 'Into The Mystic'.

6 comments:

John said...

I am afraid that Van Morrison isn't really my cup of tea Bazza, but I can hear your passion for the music through your intelligent writing my friend!
J
Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES

bazza said...

Hi John. It would be a dull world if we all liked the same thing! Your comment is, as ever, very kind. I think he is often an acquired taste....

All Consuming said...

Yes the lyrics are lovely, I particularly like the last verse. Well chosen.

klahanie said...

Hey bazza,

I'm a big fan of Van Morrison. Musical poetry at its finest. Although, suddenly I'm thinking of this,

"Like to tell ya about my baby
You know she comes around
She about five feet four
A-from her head to the ground
You know she comes around here
At just about midnight
She make ya feel so good, Lord
She make ya feel all right
And her name is G-L-O-R-I
G-L-O-R-I-A (GLORIA)
G-L-O-R-I-A (GLORIA)"

bazza said...

Hi AC.I think if you like good music you like it forever (so far anyway!)

bazza said...

Gary: Ah, Gloria is still a great song. I'm going to have to go and listen to it now!